Dipped in Cinnamon and Sugar these Easy Sourdough Apple Cinnamon Muffins make a nice breakfast on an Autumn Morning paired with a warm drink.
Easy Sourdough Apple Cinnamon Muffins Video
Eating produce that is available during each season will influence our needs of our bodies. Not only is season produce cheaper and fleshier it contains more nutrients.
Autumn is a time when we transition from warm days into colder days. Our energy will still be high because the days are not quite short however we need to prepare ourselves for winter.
Long days in the sun and longer active days requires fall produce that will help us transition easily.
Apples are one of the healthiest foods on the planet and this is not a myth! Apples lower blood sugar. Apple fibers break down carbohydrates, helps to use sugar as fuel and up production of blood sugar-regulating insulin.
Apples can help you lose weight because it this fruit can help metabolism to melt fat faster, while not allowing the production of new fat cells.
Apples help with dental care by brighten your smile. Apple peels scrubs tarter, and plaque off of teeth enamel.
Also, apples contain malic acid that neutralizes the bacteria behind cavities and bad breath.
Apples can help with memory because it contains boron which improves memory, alertness and attention much needed when the days become shorter. Apples help brain inflammation that can shield you from dementia and Alzheimer’s.
Finally, apples neutralize common carcinogens such as cigarette smoke and stop some growth of cancer cells.
Bottom Line “An Apple a Day does keep the doctor away!”
Tips on Baking Easy Sourdough Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- Linked as far back to the tenth century muffins were introduce to many homesteaders. In the United States muffins became popular around the nineteenth century around the time molds were develop for cooking and baking.
- Muffins are a wonderful addition to any breakfast or coffee break. My family and I love the delicious taste of freshly baked muffins from the oven on a Sunday morning.
- One great tip and trick if you do not need a mixer to make a good muffin.
- Read through your sourdough muffin recipe before you begin and measure out all ingredients.
- Refrigerated ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix your muffin batter instead of an electric mixer to ensure you do not over mix.
- For creating a perfect muffin, a lumpy batter is important so, do not overmix.
- Stir your batter gently and until all ingredients are moist and combined.
- Once your dry and wet ingredient are combined your Sourdough Apple Cinnamon Muffins sit on the counter for about twenty minutes to ferment.
- A longer fermentation is idea when using sourdough discard, prepare muffin recipe the night before to gain more health benefits.
- Also, preheat your oven about twenty minutes before you are ready to bake your sourdough muffins. Place muffins pan on the center rack. Rotate your muffin pan halfway through baking time to ensure an even baked sourdough muffin.
- After resting your muffins, they are ready to bake.
- Remove muffins from muffin cups as soon as they are baked thoroughly to prevent soggy bottoms.
- Muffins are a favorite to bake around our farmhouse because there are many variations you can create such as strawberry and blueberry.
- Examples of Combinations of muffins could be banana, strawberry, banana, zucchini to name a few!
- Also, you can make muffins large or bite size or into loaf breads. The possibilities are endless.
WHAT IS SOURDOUGH DISCARD/STARTER
Sourdough Discard/Starter is a mixture of flour and water that creates yeast. This yeast is bacteria that will grow and excellent for gut health.
Before you could buy yeast in little package our ancestors created yeast by creating a starter which in turn can be discard to make many amazing recipes.
Sourdough Starter is the beginning of creating the yeast and takes the bacteria from environment. Discard is removed from the sourdough starter in the first seven days of creating starter or when you have an excessive amount of sourdough starter adding to muffins is a great way to note waste anything.
Easy Sourdough Apple Cinnamon Muffin Recipe
Can I say yum; these sourdough apple cinnamon muffins remind me of an apple doughnut with cinnamon, sugar and butter and we love them at breakfast in the autumn.
- 2 cups of Organic Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (2 teaspoons will be used to coat apples)·
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder·
- ½ teaspoon of salt·
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon·
- 1/2 cup of sourdough discard
- 2 cups of diced, cored and peeled organic apples·
- ½ cup grass-fed unsalted butter, softened·
- 1 cup of organic cane sugar·
- 2 large farm fresh eggs; beaten·
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract·
- ½ cup of whole milk·
- Oil for coating the muffin pan
- ½ cup grass fed unsalted butter, melted·
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar·
- ¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon
*** I like to prepare this sourdough muffin recipe the night before to provide a long ferment and gain all the healthy gut probiotics.
First, preheat oven to 375 degrees, coat your muffin pan with oil to prevent sticking.
Next, Mix all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Next toss apples and 2 teaspoons of flour, coat well.
In mixer cream grass fed butter, sugar for three minutes. Add farm fresh eggs and vanilla to mixer. Fold in sourdough discard and flour mixture altering with splashes of milk.
Add coated apples. Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon apple muffin mixture into muffin cups only filling three fourths of the way. Let your sourdough apple cinnamon muffins ferment for a few hours on the counter or overnight in the refrigerator.
Bake for thirty minutes, after fifteen minutes turn muffin pan halfway.
Bake sourdough muffins until golden brown and a center spring back when you push your finger into them.
To make topping for muffins mix sugar, melted butter and cinnamon and set aside.
Once muffins are baked allow to cool a bit, and then dip into melted butter, cinnamon/sugar mixture.
Place muffins on cooling rack to cool.
ENJOY with coffee or tea for an Autumn Morning Treat!