This easy sourdough orange pound cake recipe is plain but, it has a wonderful taste that is pack with gut friendly ingredients.
Easy Sourdough Orange Pound Cake Recipe Video
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST SOURDOUGH STARTER
In a room temperature glass container mix one cup of all purpose organic unbleached flour (any flour of choice will work but, organic and unbeach it best) with 1 cup of filtered water.
Mix flour and water thoroughly, until it feels like a thick paste such as pancake batter.
Cover with a tea towel or cheese cloth and keep in a warm place around seventy degrees.
Twelve hour later remover a 1/2 cup and discard to save to make a discard recipe of feed livestock such as feeding the chicken or pigs.
Fed with additional 1/2 cup of all purpose organic unbleached flour and 1/2 cup of filter water. Repeat this process for 5 days. On day six and seven fed every twenty four hour. Your starter should have bubbles and the top will look foam-like.
Tips on Beginning Sourdough Starter
- Water quality is important. Make sure you do not use city water or water that is chemically treated because it will breakdown your wild yeast. Use filtered water or bottle water.
- Sourdough Starter should be warm but, not hot. I like a good starter to be around 70-80 degrees. If your home is cooler place by a fire place or furnace.
- Check your humidity; you need a moist starter that is hydrated.
- Cover your sourdough starter with cheese cloth or tea towel; secure with a rubber band. Covering your starter will help to keep pest out and prevent it from drying out.
- Bubbles in your starter is a great sign that your sourdough starter is alive and working.
- Texture of your sourdough starter should be tacky
- Smell of your sourdough starter will be sour.
- Sourdough must be feed daily or it will go dormant or die.
- If you cannot fed your starter daily because of vacation, cover with a air tight lid and store in the refrigerator. When ready to use sourdough starter pull out about twenty four hours beforehand. Feed your starter and use in twenty four hours.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF SOURDOUGH
Sourdough has many health benefits, filled with many great benefits and an way to grow yeast to rise breads. Probiotics are live microbes that have health benefits that grow naturally within the environment. Sourdough helps to relegate metabolism, helps relieve allergies, cancer protection and balances the immune system along with reducing inflammation.
Sourdough has been around for centuries as far back as the Egyptians. This wild yeast is fermented naturally, leavened many breads and desserts. Sourdough adds a tangy, earthy taste to all baked goods and filled with many health benefits.
Tips for Baking an Easy Sourdough Orange Pound Cake Recipe
- Always grease your pan when baking a cake. Use a pastry brush to apply melted butter to coat entire pan or just use cooking spray.
- Take time to cream your butter because it gives your cake volume.
- Scrape sides often with mixing your cake batter.
- Add eggs one at a time to create more volume to your cake recipe.
- When baking cake in oven rotate halfway through bake time to create an even cake.
- Do not over mix your cake batter.
- Let your cake cook in pan for at least fifteen minutes on a wire rack before removing it from baking dish.
Favorite Baking Equipment
I love using my spatula to mix and get every morsel combine while mixing and into the baking pan.
I need a grater often because I am obsessed with adding zest into not only my cake recipes but, everything!
In baking one thing I have learned, is MEASURE everything such as baking soda.
Juicing lemons, limes and oranges is an everyday occurrence in my kitchen. My citrus juicers is a great tool to have and helpful.
A good set of mixing bowls that are not plastic makes baking amazing. Glass, ceramic, or stainless steel is great when baking because the bowls do not leach or retain past flavors.
Easy Sourdough Orange Pound Cake Recipe
- 1 cup of shifted organic all-purpose flour
- One teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 cup of organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup of sourdough starter or discard
- 3/4 cup of raw organic butter
- 4 organic room temperature farm fresh eggs
- 1/3 cup of fresh squeeze orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
Orange Pound Cake Glaze
- 1/2 cup of shifted powder sugar
- 1 teaspoon of orange zest
- 1-2 tablespoons of freshly squeeze orange juice
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Next, grease your Bundt pan or loaf pan. You can grease your pan with cooking spray or spread butter all over pan and sprinkle with flour. Discard any excess flour.
Shift flour, baking powder and sugar into a mixing bowl, mix to combine.
Now beat your butter into the dry ingredients until fluffy. Crack eggs and add one at a time until incorporated. Add orange juice, zest and sourdough until combined.
Let your sourdough orange pound cake rest for an hour or cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use. The longer the batter rest; the longer the fermentation can occur.
If store in the refrigerator; take out one hour before baking in order for batter to become room temperature.
Pour your orange pound cake batter into your prepare pans. Bake your sourdough orange pound cake for twenty five to thirty minutes. Use a toothpick to insert in the center to check it done. If the toothpick comes out clean it is “good to go”!
Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for ten minutes. After cooled remove from pan and cool completely.
While cooking it is time to prepare the glaze for the cake.
To make your glaze shift your powder sugar into a mixer. Add your zest and freshly squeeze orange juice; beat until the glaze looks soft and fluffy.
Finally, light brush or drizzle glaze over pound cake. Let your glaze become hard and serve after dinner, at breakfast with coffee or in the afternoon with tea.