I do not want to brag but, these easy sourdough pumpkin chocolate chip muffins are amazing because they taste flavorful and moist.
Easy Sourdough Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins Video
WHAT IS SOURDOUGH AND HOW TO MAKE A GREAT STARTER
Modern day commercial yeast that I grew up on did not exist until after the 1800’s.
Before the 1800’s wild yeast was the only way to bake such as golden loafs of bread. Many of our ancestors grew yeast by creating a Sourdough Starter.
Sourdough Starter is a mixture of flour and water and over time creates a yeast. Creating a sourdough starter is leaven to making breads and other bakery treats.
Take note, after sourdough has stood on your counter for three days , it will give off a strong smell that is because it is fermenting.
The fermentation period will provide tasty baked items, good probiotics for excellent gut health and regulate blood sugar.
Tips and Tricks for Baking Easy Sourdough Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Linked as far back to the tenth century muffins were introduce to many homesteaders. In the United States muffins became popular around the nineteenth century around the time molds were develop for cooking and baking.
- Muffins are a wonderful addition to any breakfast or coffee break. My family and I love the delicious taste of freshly baked muffins from the oven on a Sunday morning.
- One great tip and trick if you do not need a mixer to make a good muffin.
- Read through you muffin recipe before you begin and measure out all ingredients.
- Refrigerated ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Use a wooden spoon to prepare your muffin batter instead of an electric mixer to ensure you do not over mix.
- For creating a perfect muffins a lumpy batter is important so, do not overmix.
- Stir your batter gently and until all ingredients are moist and combined.
- Once your dry and wet ingredient are combined your Sourdough Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins sit on the counter for about twenty minutes to ferment.
- Also, preheat your oven about twenty minutes before you are ready to bake your sourdough muffins. Place muffin pan on the center rack. Rotate your muffin pan halfway through baking time to ensure an even baked sourdough muffin.
- After resting your muffins, they are ready to bake.
- Remove muffins from muffin cups as soon as they are baked thoroughly to prevent soggy bottoms.
- Muffins are a favorite to bake around our farmhouse because there are many variations you can create such as strawberry and blueberry.
- Examples of Combinations of muffins could be banana, strawberry, banana, zucchini to name a few!
- Also, you can make muffins large or bite size or into loaf breads. The possibilities are endless.
Benefits of Pumpkin for Sourdough Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin is load is rich in fiber and contains great vitamins such as B , C and E. Fiber helps you to fill full longer, which is great to gaining control of weight.
- Fresh pumpkin has beta carotene which will help to reduce high cholesterol and diabetes.
- Slow down aging and fine lines by consuming pumpkin on a regular basis.
- Consuming pumpkin will help to prevent colon, skin, stomach and breast cancer.
- Looking to lower carbs; pumpkins is very low in carbohydrates making you fill fuller.
- Improve eye sight by eating pumpkin. Pumpkin contains Vitamin A which will improve one’s eye sight if eaten on a regularly.
- Tryptophan is found in pumpkin with is link to improving sleep, help one to relax and can improve mood.
Why Muffin Pan for Sourdough Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Muffins Pan are a necessary in my kitchen. My precious muffin pan I have since my wedding shower and is about twenty years old. Used often I can make up to twelve muffins at a time. My muffin pan has many years on it, baking time is reduces and if I convert a bread recipe into muffin I decrease bake time as well!
Finally, muffin pans for sourdough pumpkin chocolate chip muffins is awesome because you can bake quickly and a perfect ” grab and go ” for busy mornings.
Easy Sourdough Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe
Creating These yummy sourdough pumpkin chocolate chip muffins are famous because they are not dry and taste very similar to any sugary muffin you will not taste the difference. Even better these sourdough muffins are better the next day, because the flavors will have time to develop and bring this fall treat to a whole new level!
- 1 2/3 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup of freshly feed sourdough starter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- One fourth ground ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup softened raw unsalted grass feed butter (Note, I like to use unsalted to control salt in recipe)
- 1 tablespoon softened coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 room temperature farm fresh eggs
- 1 1/4 cup organic raw sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup of canned or fresh pumpkin puree
- 1 cup of raw chocolate chips
- Softened grass feed Butter or muffin liners to prevent sticking
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Next, line your muffin pan with liners or take a pastry brush and spread to coat the pan with the softened unsalted butter to prevent sticking. In your mixer using the paddle attachment mix your unsalted butter, coconut oil, honey sugar, vanilla, eggs and pumpkin for two minutes.
Next, with a sifter; sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and ginger. Slowly add flour mixture to the butter mixture. Now add your sourdough; allow to sit and ferment for one to two hours. Fold in chocolate chips. Add your batter to the muffin tin filling seventy five percent; bake for nineteen minutes or until the edges are light brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan on their sides for couple minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. A wire rack is great because it will allow the air to circulate and cool your sourdough pumpkin chocolate chip muffins quicker. Makes twelve to eighteen muffins and will keep for up to five days.